...Berlin......................................
29 Juli 2006
  Thoughts about the story of Saint Martha
Today is the day of Saint Martha. As I hear the church bells ringing from the near by dome, I read the story of Martha and Mary again.
"Now as they went on their way, he entered a certain village, where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. She had a sister named Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to what he was saying. But Martha was distracted by her many tasks; so she came to him and asked, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her then to help me." But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part, which will not be taken away from her" (Luke 10:38-42).

Instead of helping her sister, Mary sits and listens to Jesus. Martha scolds her, but Jesus defends her and tells Martha that Mary is doing the right thing.

I find it hard to explain why I like this story so much. Probably because it tells me that it is indeed not so important to focus on daily life's minor details but rather on the big thing.
On the other hand I find it a bit unfair, because while Jesus and the others are talking about the big thing, Martha is working her arse off to prepare them food, to clean the house for them and to establish a frame for the whole thing.
Martha is the homemaker, organising the surrounding for everyone. But her work, says Jesus, is not even very important!
Maybe it's not, after all. Maybe love can evolve without all the goodies around it. Maybe if we all focussed on the big thing, we'd all live a bit dirtier and a bit hungrier, but we'd be happier? I'm not so sure...
 
Comments: Kommentar veröffentlichen



<< Home
I'm back home. Everything is as it used to be. -Or is it not?


Links to myself

  • Malaysia Blog, in German (Dec05-Jun06)

  • Pictures taken in Malaysia and Bangladesh

  • Links to others

  • attac

  • Kritische Wirtschaftswissenschaften - Studentische Initiative


  • old entries
    Juli 2006 / August 2006 /















    Name: